Tuesday 22 January 2008

Soul Man

To Brighton for a much needed weekend where we catch up with friends we have not seen for virtually a year. We go to The Motown Story at the Theatre Royal (after the pub) which we booked for on the chance that it might be good. In fact it was great - a sensational 7 piece soul band and 4 really talented singers recreating thewhole sound of that era (Temptations, Four Tops, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, et al). We ended up moving from our seats to the light gantry for the second half of the show to have a boogie.

Anyway back to work with a bump on Monday with lots going on. Deadlines looming I am afraid so I am being a bit of a boring person by working at home. Who'd have thought that years of studying the most beautiful literature in the English language would find me filing out forms talking about projects, outcomes and outputs and matcherd funding. There you go.

On the upside I am asked to facilitate 4 workshops on young people and the law at a big Youth conference. This is something I have done over the last few years. When I was lawyering I was amazed how little training youth workers get in the law. This is despite young people often coming up against it and often go through the criminal justice system as either victims or suspects. Anyway I developed a training module which has proved surprisingly popular and I have taught it at universities and to different staff teams and at ocassionally at conferences and seminars. I am asked to deliver this on Saturday and- as it is outside the day job - I am asked what I would charge as a fee. This is tricky but I say the first thing that comes into my head "I'll do it for a 30gb Ipod Nano". They agree so I am being paid with a little box containing a brand new Ipod for my music. How appropriate.

Lyric reference to commemorate my little dance on the lighting gantry hit it Sam and Dave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j2mzeyGZ8Y

No comments: