Tuesday 15 January 2008

Here Comes the Rain Again

A real Noah/arc-building kind of a weather day which never seemed to let up. Soaked on the way into work which sort of set the tone for the whole day as I am behind schedule and can't seem to find the groove as it were. I begin to sketch out our consultation repsonse to the Borough Council's restructuring proposals. I can't see the consultation making much of a difference and - despite the best of intentions - can't avoid being cynical about the direction they are taking. I write a bid trying to secure funding for one of our posts which may or not be funded through whatever succeeds Neighbourhood Renewal. The local authority have simply got this one badly wrong and are in a state of atrophy when there should be real leadership. There is talk of a stakeholder conference but it all seems a bit late, a bit stale and a bit, well half-hearted. The highlight of the day are some real gems in my CD Purchasing. I don't often bang on about the music which moves me - each to his or her own I say - but if you ever get a chance to listen to an album by Lucinda Williams called "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" (Oxfam £1) do so - you won't regret it believe me. I call in at the barbers to see Steve have a chat and a hair cut. We become philosophical and rather strangely discuss the music we might like played at our respective funerals. He (an ex lead singer in a band) went for The Who (Won't Get Fooled Again) I go for the only song which pops into my head (an obscure Noel Coward number from the 1930's called "the party's over now").

Anyway the rainy weather precluded any running activity but I was unable to settle to anything at home and as Sue was working decided to pick the only 40 rain-free minutes of the whole day and go for a brisk run along the seafront. Apart from almost being blown over it was actually rather an exhilirating experience the sea was really kicking up and it kind of matched my mood!! A favourite Primal Scream album on the ipod a desolate pier and deserted prom - I think I was the only soul abroad as Shakespeare would say.

After a day in which it has rained, according to the weather website, more in 24 hours than in the last month combined, there can only be one lyric reference to use...Annie, Over to you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscogedAWTI

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd never seen that vid before - nice shots of The Old Man of Hoy.

Steve said...

Yes I can understand how rewarding it must be to climb it as it is such a unique structure.