Wednesday 31 October 2007

public service announcement

Today to London for a conference on tranforming public service delivery. I have seen during my career (local government officer, councillor and VCS Chief Officer) much talk about tranformation and little evidence. 20 years of this type of rhetoric still leads me to the belief that UK infrastructure is just appalling and wherever I go in the world to poor and rich places alike it always seems easier to get around. Train is 20 minutes late and Parliament Square is grid-locked bacause of the state visit of the King of Saudi Arabia every police officer I see is seriously tooled up and security is tight. Human rights in are generally considered to be minimal or non-existent in that regime so why we are rolling out red carpets is sliightly beyond my understanding 'oil' and 'arms-sales' do spring to mind I guess. Anyway Phil Hope tries top convince us that more Govt money is on the way and there is renewed determination to see 3rd sector delivery of services. The audience are baffled that they hear the rhetoric but never get to see the resources!

Anyway the public service announcement lyric is from The Clash and is in the words of Joe Strummer "a public service announcement - with guitars" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPeWSpB_7w4

No comments: