Tuesday 6 May 2008

I want to be elected...

A classic Alice Cooper song introduces the aftermath of the local elections. For ages, the Council seemed paralysed by being in "purduh" (or whatever it is called) with no real decisions being taken and no strategic issues being addressed. No change there you may think, but I would rebuke you for your abject cynicism. I have always believed that within each tired and flaccid Local Authority there is an active and radical one waiting to come out.

More than usual the local elections were awaited with some excitement. Ironically, the Sunday before the elections I ran a 5 mile road race in support of the local hospice. It started at the Town Hall and I spent some timechatting to Kevin the Councils marketing manager who I know well. We discuss what is likely to happen and both agree that this election will be a difficult one to call. As a former local politician who did not have a bad track record in calling elections I really did not know which way this was going to go.

Anyway, there is a huge political change in Hastings from a "hung council" to a, well, slightly different "hung council". Interesting individual results though, as one seat - and ultimately the whole Council is literally decided on a lottery. The Old Town ward is tied after 6 recounts and in situations like this the Returning Officer literally pulls a name from a hat. There are some who argue that the performance of Local Government in Hastings might actually be strengthened by picking all 32 councillors this way but that again would be a cynics viewpoint and I urge you not to adopt it.

John, our information worker does stirling work to ensure that all new Councillors receive a welcome letter from us as probably the first piece of official mail they get after their election which portrays us as an organisation which respnds to political change quickly. We will do new member briefings no doubt to the new Councillors in due course.

While I am talking information I should record a small piece of CVS history as we have become the first CVS in the country - we think - to record its own podcast. Actually I had a Sunday afternoon at home and download the software from a free Linux source called Audacity. I thought I would give it a quick go just to see if the programme worked. Before I knew where I was I had recorded a 25 minute unscripted podcast about local VCS issues. You feel a bit self-concious at first but you soon get "into the groove" as it were.

I bring a copy into work and give John an opportunity to listen. We are now working on how to get its memory size down to manageable proportions. Check the website soon and you may be able to download me to hear in the comfort of your own home or via your ipod. It is entirely experimental of course but it does open up other possibilities to offer some briefings on line and maybe find new ways of reaching our members. We shall see.

Alice over to you my friend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jggm7VWqhLs

No comments: