Thursday 23 August 2007

The Birds Will Still Be Singing

I feel I should have introduced him earlier but HVA is probably the only CVS is the country with its own mascot. Basically, Leonard the Seagull (see picture on right side) was previously the mascot for a - now abandoned - Passport To Leisure resident discount scheme run by the Borough Council. Unfortunately a new administration combined with a series of budget cuts did for Leonard who was made redundant. Through the involvement of our volunteer bureau Leonard became a volunteer with Hastings United Football Club and leads out the team during home games. So grateful was Leonard for the volunteering opportunity given to him by Hastings Voluntary Action he agreed to become HVAs mascot as well. Commenting on his new position, Leonard said:- "If it wasn't for HVA I don't know where I would be. I was devastated when I lost my job with the Council and was at risk of descending into a vortex of daytime TV, crack addiction, meaningless one night stands and petty crime. I now feel I have regained my purpose in life and wake each day with a smile on my beak." Leonard is now working towards his Level 1 Certificate in Community Volunteering as part of HVAs Local Enterprise Growth Initiative (LEGI) programme.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is Leonard available for hire? I'd like him to Chair the NAVCA AGM in September. It needs something and Leonard could be it.

Kevin Curley