Monday 17 March 2008

Step On

The big day arrived with lots of rain and drizzle. Fortunately it was not too windy and I took the dog out to test the temparature. Forced myself to eat porridge (yuk never liked the stuff) and then almost an entire packet of jelly babies - apparently they are high on the type of carbohydrate you need for an endurance work-out combined with the suger rush for energy. Sue then takes me to the start where I pop into a local pub to use the loo and have a cup of coffee. I meet two other runners from Lewisham. The run itself went well. I was aiming for about 2 hours and I stopped my watch on the finish line at 1hr 59m 52s which is as near as you can get I guess. It all went as well as anything that long can go. No really bad patches and lots of support along the way. Peter HVA's fundraiser was spotted early on the course and I saw lots of other people throughout the course. Finally the entire family had gathered in the Old Town so it was nice to have their collective support. I stuck around at the finish to see other people go through thefinish line. Nice to see Erica finish in good spirits with Felix and Robin - one of HVAs trustees. My little Ipod machine through which I monitor my training told me that I had consumed 1,672 calories during the run. So it was onto the Jenny Lind for a meal to put some of them back. Overall the body stood up well and many many thanks for those who supported me. Talking of support I also had the most fabulous playlist in the ipod which I have painstakingly compiled from my running activities over the last couple of months. This made the whole task a lot easier than just listening to the sound of your own breathing I will publish it on here tomorrow. Our lyric reference is from the Happy Mondays one of the songs that helped me on the run.

No comments: