Wednesday 25 June 2008

Remember My Name

The lyric reference is from Eminem and is probably unrepeatable. It records the fact that a few posts ago I described a meeting and - fingers moving faster than brain - got someones name wrong. As I enter the Area Management Board this evening I am approached by Jan - who I blogged about for some strange reason as 'Karen' - to correct my abject error. It is one thing to forget someones name but the height of rudeness to call them something entirely different! The only thing I can say in my defence is that I have searched high and low for any lyric references to Jan - not too many available I am afraid. There was a surf duo from the 60's called Jan and Dean but this was the pre video era. The best I can do is Jan Hammer and the theme from Miami Vice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47XaK4XJxFQ) it is just so 80's - and not a little camp - but you might enjoy it. Apologies Jan.

What else? On Saturday I am in Fairlight to attend the 10th anniversary of the Fairlight Youth Club. Years ago my wife Sue was a youthworker in the area and together we wrote the Lottery bid which provided the funds to open a club and provide a portacabin on the village green for young people of the village. Thinking back, it must have been one of the very first lottery grants after the launch of the National Lottery. Keith HVA's grants officer - and big fish in the world of Fairlight Amauteaur Dramatics - is also there so we all sit on hay bales watching the music.

A nice event to attend as there is live music. Two local bands both if which by chance we know provide the soundtrack. The first - four young women who are sisters Sue (my wife) took on an exchange trip to Germany. The second features Terry who plays with his son and provides a good and diverse set. He, along with the mis-named Jan is one of the Area Coordinators for Hastings. I asked them to play "the day we caught the Train" by Ocean Colour Scene - a favourite band of mine but they have to cut the set short to attend a stag do. Can't remember Elvis ever doing that but there you go. Shame, because people were dancing. Anyway just to remind Terry to play this song more often here are the boys themselves doing their trademark number http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf5gGwGVaTk enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Steve,I can't let that one go without a comment. I think this contribution misses out on the most popular musical references to Janet of modern times - Dammit Janet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OvvcqYRCN4&feature=related