Thursday 20 September 2007

I Still Remember

A very pleasant task opened my day to give an introductory talk at the Ore Valley Forum away day. They are planning their future activity and role over the next stage of their development. Unbelievably, the forum is now 14 years old and I was asked to speak as I am the only person still around who was at its inaugeral meeting when I was a young(ish) Labour Councillor. The OVF came out of a period when the Ore Valley had its fair share of issues - indeed a mini riot hit the headlines in the early 1990's which made service providers sit up and try and build a better dialogue with local people. That led to some real Action Planning an Estate Action programme. It was ice to share memories with people who were involved in those early years. Some really interesting work going on and some real grassroots activism which is getting results. It all looks a bit uncertain because of the debate over Neighbourhood Renewal Funding etc. I hope I was able t get the message accross that it is the people and not the programmes which will ensure that a strong community voice that shapes the future of the Ore Valley. As ever I had to leave to make another commitment but hope to join them later in the day.

The lyric today comes from Bloc Party - I bought the album yesterday and here they are but be warned they are LOUD... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M0wcnKOfsu0

1 comment:

Steve Leonard said...

A bacteria is a microscopic single celled organism that can only be viewed under a microscope. Because light is refracted every time it passes through a medium with a different refractive index, (air to glass or vice versa) the quality of the image is reduced with each passage. This is what I think happened in my case.